1. The Center for Chinese Studies (CCS) has the following provisions for its research grant program.
2. This program is designed for foreign professors, associate professors, assistant professors and doctoral candidates in departments related to Chinese studies at foreign universities, as well as researchers at related foreign academic institutes. The content of the research, to be undertaken in Taiwan, should be within the field of Chinese studies.
3. Assistance provided by the CCS includes subsidies of research expenses, research materials service, liaison with universities and research institutions, and use of CCS facilities, etc.
4. Research tenure is three months to one year.
5. Applications should be submitted to the CCS by May 31 of each year before the year in which grants are intended to be used; notification of the CCS’s decision will be given by the end of August of the same year after a careful review. Applications should include the following documents:1) Application form
2) Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications)
3) Research plan
4) Letter(s) of recommendation
6. Grantees are entitled to travel subsidies and research subsidies. Eligibility for travel subsidies is restricted to foreign scholars who currently reside abroad; those already in Taiwan are not eligible.
7. Subsidies available under the Research Grant Program are as follows:1) Travel subsidies: One direct round trip economy class air ticket from the domicile of the grantee to Taipei will be provided by the CCS. Travel expenses will be reimbursed upon the grantee’s arrival in Taiwan on the basis of the ticket stub and receipt. 2) Research subsidies: To be paid at the beginning of each month and divided into four levels: professor, associate professor, assistant professor, and doctoral candidate. Researchers at academic/research institutes will also receive grants according to the above scale. The actual amount of research subsidies is determined by the CCS and any adjustments to those amounts will be decided upon by the CCS Advisory Committee.
8. Grantees must sign a contract with the CCS and observe the following regulations:1) No outside employment will be allowed without the prior approval of the CCS. Concurrent acceptance of a grant from any other organization in the R.O.C. is not permitted. 2) Participation in all scholarly research activities arranged by the CCS is required. 3) All regulations must be observed when using CCS and National Central Library facilities. 4) A research report or paper must be submitted to the CCS by the end of a grantee’s research tenure.
9. Grantees who fail to observe Article 8 will have their research subsidies terminated by the CCS.
10. Scholars who receive a grant under the Program must wait a minimum of three years after completion of their research projects before applying again.
11. Any additions to the above provisions will be handled by the CCS as authorized by the CCS Advisory Committee.
12. These provisions have been approved by the Ministry of Education. Any revisions hereto must be approved by the CCS Advisory Committee and reported to the Ministry before going into effect.